UDA Memorabilia Marketing Support
As the popularity of professional sports has grown over the years, so has the demand for autographed collectibles. To forgers, public interest in sports signifies a golden opportunity to make a buck off unsuspecting fans. Upper Deck recognized the problem and introduced a solution when the company established Upper Deck Authenticated in 1992 and created the first authentication system in the industry. The company's mission was to create a source that sports fans could trust for genuine autographed sports memorabilia.
At the heart of the company's patented five-step authentication process is the company's policy that an Upper Deck representative must witness each autograph signed by any one of the high-profile athletes with whom it has a relationship. The five-step process goes like this:
- The 5 Step Process
- Step 1: Every autograph is witnessed by an Upper Deck Authenticated representative. After all, observation is the ONLY WAY to truly guarantee authenticity;
- Step 2: A record of the autograph session is signed by both the athlete and the UDA official and is stored in a secure permanent file;
- Step 3: An Upper Deck Authenticated serial numbered hologram is affixed to each signed piece of memorabilia;
- Step 4: A certificate of authenticity is assigned to every piece of memorabilia and includes a matching hologram to the one affixed to the item;
- Step 5: Every piece of signed memorabilia is packaged with a registration card. The owner has the opportunity to register the item with Upper Deck Authenticated. If for some reason the item is sold and/or transferred to a new owner, a full detailed record of the item's history is readily available.